sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Friday, February 23, 2007

Eye Candy Friday

P1010119

Happy Friday, guys! I've been out of my routine all this week, but in a good way. I've been doing lots of laps at the pool, going out for dinner, and last night, basking in the sauna forevah before a long massage. I slept like a baby and feel awesome!

D's been fending for himself for dinner, and I think one night all that he had was a big bowl of popcorn. Not that he's complaining. Sometimes it's nice to grab just a little something, right?

We've got a wet, cold weekend in the forecast and I still need to do my homework for Sunday's crochet workshop, so I fired up the slowcooker this morning for a quick-prep but cozy home-cooked meal.

I started with sauted handfuls of onion and carrot, 2 cups of mushroom broth from a box (must learn how to make this myself), half a cube of vegetable bullion, 1 1/2 cups of navy beans that soaked overnight, gobs of fresh herbs tucked into a muslin bag, and a dry California bay leaf. I've got the slow cooker on "low" for the rest of the day.

On the way home tonight I'll pick up a fresh baguette and some salad fixings. And maybe something for dessert. No, no dessert! I don't want to undo all the laps I put in this week.

Mmmm, it's going to be a great weekend. See you all next week. I'll have pics from the workshop.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger gray la gran said...

they look like shallots! are they shallots?
nevertheless, that recipe sounds super yummy! i can't believe i have not been using my slow cooker this season (i don't know why exactly, probably because i haven't found any south beach recipes for it?). and, i've never heard of mushroom broth! where does one find it? who produces it?!
(i love food almost as much as i love knitting)

6:38 PM  
Blogger sweetfigs said...

Those are just little pearl onions. My recipe calls for 1 big onion, but I didn't have any, so I subbed a handful of the pearls. Came out great.

I get the mushroom broth or mushroom stock at the health food store, in the aisle with all the soups and bullion cubes. It's in one of those giant juice boxes. The price always kills me, though, cause I figure it's basically just mushrooms and water, and it costs about 4 bucks!

This recipe might not be vetted by South Beach, but its tasty, low cal, and cheap. Well, except for the $4 box of broth.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home