sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Monday, November 20, 2006

FO Report -- Zugspitze

Over the weekend I finished this child's cabled hat. It's a gift for a friend and my own pattern. I'm calling it Zugspitze, in reference to the Bavarian alp where cable cars take skiiers and sightseers to the peak.
Zugspitze full

My mother and I visited Zugspitze about a year ago. She lives near Nurnberg, and took me on a little tour of southern Bavaria.

I took this photo for my sisters.
Mama driving 100 mph (160k) on the autobahn!
She's laughing because I told her why I was taking the picture.Image 20 Driving to Garmisch
For you knitters, here's some sheep, as seen during the short train ride from Garmisch-Partenkirschner to the base of the cable cars.
Image 22 View from the Train to Zugspitze
Image 34
Image 24
Image 23
Image 28
Image 30

Zugspitze cables close up
Zugspitze crown


Materials:
Karabella Aurora 8 (100% Extrafine Merino Wool, 50 grams / 98 yards or 90 meters per ball, manufacturer recommends 18 st x 26 rows with US size 7 or 8 needles), Color #43, medium teal. Final weight of hat: 46 grams. US #6 (4mm) 16" circulars.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Great blog, keep up the good work

7:45 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

That color is beautiful.

9:36 AM  
Blogger String said...

figgy, A silk cap is referring to the shape the fiber is in. You may have seen silk hankies, a cap is simialar. It is made by streching cocoons on a frame layer by layer, then they are spun a layer at a time. One cap has much more fiber than a hanky, but it is a little more difficult to spin. It is one of the cheaper ways to purchase silk spinning fiber, top being most expensive, which is like regular wool roving, then hankies, caps, and a few other types.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Krawuggl said...

This is such a nice post, cause the Zugspitze is not only in Germany, it´s in Bavaria, like me. And your mother looks very engaging, if I might say so. And yes, there is no speed limit here at the Autobahn, so most cars are very very fast, too fast for me sometimes.
Let me please also thank you so much for your comment, it´s absolutely great for me to know such a lovely, friendly and talented bunch of woman. Thank you very much!

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful hat, a true stunner.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic hat! And great pictures, too.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cap and the pictures of the trip, beautifully!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the hat!!! Great job! The pictures are just gorgeous, so lovely. Thank you for sharing, it was awe inspiring to see when I'm stuck in Kansas wasteland (very ugly right now)

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home