sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Monday, February 05, 2007

additions to the library

I've recently come across some treasures to add to my library.

First up, Nature Printing, by Laura Donnelly Bethmann. It's a how-to book about making prints with objects like fresh herbs, flowers, leaves, bird feathers, and sea shells.
P1000867

The book is thin, but full of tips about collecting and preparing materials, and what makes for suitable papers, tools, and inks.
P1000861

I haven't finished reading it yet, but already I'm inspired to take a few watercolor paints and blank greeting cards up to the Upper Penninsula this summer. I found my copy locally but I've seen other copies on the internet.

Next up, this dear little Peter Rabbit cookbook. I wanted it mostly because the illustrations are so sweet, but it does offer many easy recipies, and all of them are vegetarian. Jems like wheat germ muffins, fresh blueberry cobbler, and carrot cookies. This copy was de-acquisitioned by the Memphis, Tennessee library system and sold on ebay.
P1000870


Another ex-library book that I found on ebay is the book on the right, a copy of Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. You already know what's inside, so I won't bother with the details. It's a hardback with a dust jacket. Perfect!

P1000872

And, the best for last! On the left is the February-March 1957 issue of Vogue Pattern Book. It holds Elizabeth Zimmermann's very first commercially published pattern. The first ever! I started searching for this 50-year magazine when I came back from the EZ exhibit in Wisconsin last December.

I fell in love with this sweater at the exhibit.
P1000877

I don't know if I will ever knit such an intricate aran, especially at this small gauge, but I love having this little connection to EZ. Instead of receiving cash for her two knitting patterns, Elizabeth was credited as the source for the wool, and the mention launched the mail order business that survives to this day.
P1000876
A couple more beauties from the pattern catalog:

P1000873
P1000874


Perhaps you want your own copies. Each of the books was about $5, and although the magazine was a bit pricier, it's well worth it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Wow! I love the detail and fit of that suit. And the cables on the sweater. So intricate.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

You have some amazing finds here.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home