sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hello 2007!

We're easing into the new year by taking a little vacation.

We were willing to go anywhere, so long as we could get airfare & lodging at a decent price, and didn't have to fly more than 10 hours. After exploring destinations as far west as Princeville, K'auai and as far east as Austria, we settled on New Mexico and Texas. It's a short, non-stop flight from Chicago to Albuquerque, where we'll rent a car that will take us north to Santa Fe, and then south and east into Texas, where we'll eventually fly out of San Antonio.

Our agenda is really undemanding: spend some time with family and friends, see the local sites, and eat the local specialties. D's brother and one of my sisters (the one that visited Chicago last October) live in Texas, as do some friends of ours, so we'll get to catch up with them. The cacti, scrub bushes, and especially the mountains of New Mexico won't be what we're used to seeing in the flat marshy plains of Chicago. D hopes to eat a meal full of hot green chili peppers, and I hope to find some local yarn.

I've packed my knitting bag with my mother's scarf, some fingering weight yarn for a new lace WIP, and needles of all sizes just in case I find some yarn that needs to be knit immediately.

The new fingering yarn is, uh, the name totally escapes me at the moment. The colorway is African Violet, which is a mix of purples and dark fuschia pink. Do you see the pale section in the bottom right corner? That's not due to the flash, it's where there was hardly any dye on the yarn.
As pretty as the colors were, the pale bits were always going to bug me, so I painted them with a diluted packet of Koolaid Black Cherry and some red food coloring, and popped the yarn in the microwave for 2 minutes. Et voila, I'm ready to knit the Swallowtail Shawl.

Although I could probably start and finish the Swallowtail during our vacation, I'm not going to set any timeline.

So we're off to New Mexico. I'll try to do some remote blogging along the way, maybe a pretty photo from here or there, but no promises. See you in a few.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful job on the yarn, R! Enjoy the vacation from the gray Midwest.

Bon voyage.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a great time! enjoy your trip.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your itinerary sounds great -- I love Santa Fe. Hope you're having a wonderful time. And the yarn is beautiful in its Koolaided glory. It will be such a beautiful shawl.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home