sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Thursday, December 07, 2006

It's Here, It's Here!

PDRM3195

If you're an artist or crafter, you know that project ideas sometimes come to fruition quickly and sometimes not so quickly.

Yesterday's cranberry stringing project was the quick variety.

Today's project is the not so quick.

This yarn has been on the back of my mind for several years, finally came to live in my house, and, hopefully, next year will become warm, cozy sweaters.

It's rustic 2-ply wool from Cottage Craft Woollens in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada/Calais, Maine, U.S.A.

Cottage Craft sells sweater kits and they offer a little discount to people who buy 3 kits at once, so I ordered a sample card and enticed two knitters to join me in ordering.

Bonne Marie's choice was the Kelp yarn on the top of the pile -- a blend of green and black fibers. Corrine's choice was the St. Croix Navy in the middle -- a blue so dark it looks almost black. My choice was the Blackberry on the bottom -- a dark denim blue made from a blend of green, red, and blue fibers.

We each got about 2176 yards/1984 meters of light worsted wool and a sweater pattern for $34 + postage. If those numbers don't mean anything to you, I'll tell you its a lot of yarn and not so much money.

I think Cottage Craft is hinting at a slight price increase in 2007, so if you're intrigued by this stuff, you may want to ask them for a yarn sample card and order form ASAP. Happy knitting!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn my monitor! It all looks grey to me. Except yours. We should do a knitalong of our chosen Cottage Craft sweaters in January!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ooohhh :) That's a whole lot of potential.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Wow, that is a great deal...so tell us, what's the wool like? You know, the usual questions...type, soft, etc.

3:43 PM  
Blogger sweetfigs said...

So far I've been able to only wash and wind down the skeins, and I can't give a full review of Cottage Craft's wool.

I can say that it is very soft and has bits of vegetable matter in it, which makes me think the raw fiber wasn't subjected to harsh processing.

I'll post more in 2007 when I get the stuff on the needles. :)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home