sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Monday, December 04, 2006

December's Projects

After a little flurry of hats, I'm devoted to a new crop of WIPs.

I put this scarf photo up on the lacevember blog a few days ago.PDRM3160
You've never seen this project before because I did most of the knitting in the pre-blog days. The pretty pattern is a freebie from generous Alison J. Hyde. Materials: I used 4mm needles and slightly more than half a 4 ounce skein of handdyed Anne from Schaefer Yarns (60% merino wool superwash, 25% mohair, 15% nylon). There never was a name or a number for this colorway.

I've been calling it an FO, since I cast off and all it needs is to weave in the loose ends and a better blocking, but lately I'm rethinking the FO status. See, the thing is, I think the sides are going to roll in, even more than they are in the photo. And then I would never wear it.

So I'm considering the addition of a crocheted picot edge, a knitted sawtooth border, or even some attached I-cord. All 3 options have their drawbacks, like I don't crochet very well, I would have swatch a lot and calculate the number of stitches for a knitted border, and I'm skeptical that attached I-cord would be effective. In other words, all options would require a lot of work that is likely to get ripped out.

It's too freaking cold in Chicago to wear something so skimpy, so it's going to linger, somewhere between FO and WIP a tad longer.

In the meantime, I'm diligently working on my mother's Almost Lost in Translation scarf. This is just the mini swatch. Yep, I've moved on to actual size. But there's so much unravelling going on, it hasn't earned a photo shoot. It's even too small for a lifeline. Stay tuned.
PDRM3167
I also want to make us some felted Christmas stockings this month. I drew my pattern on a paper bag and realized that I want a strong L shape, instead of a droopy foot. This will probably mean knitting a tube but shortrowing the heel section. I hope to find some feltable natural colored wool at the LYS this weekend, and will make Libby's first since her's will be the smallest of the three.

There's also a Libby-related project that I have to keep secret until Christmas.

My sweet girl found a sunbeam this chilly weekend so I found the camera. By the way, I haven't said anything about her health lately because we still don't know what caused her brain seizure last month, so we don't know whether she will have another. As time passes uneventfully, I grow less worried.
PDRM3272

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The red scarf is beautiful!! Keep going on it and use in the spring. It would be a nice weight for spring/fall and is too beautiful to quit on.

Your mom's shawl looks like it will be lovely too.

Such a lovely princess Libby. Such a gorgeous puppy she is!! (don't tell my princess, she will be jealous!) ;-)

10:49 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Libby is such a beauty! Love the scarf, inspiring! and ack on those rolling edges. Looking forward to seeing your mother's shawl, beautiful colour.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home