sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Another Quick Project

Over the weekend we started the round of holiday festivities.

Marie ClaireOne of our annual parties includes a gift exchange, and this year I was lucky to draw the name of someone who enjoys gardening, cooking, and wine collecting, and it was fairly easy to shop for him. He has treated us to many gourmet meals, so I put together a collection of kitchen tools that I haven't seen him use.

It felt a little like cheating, though, to just go buy a gift. So I used a pattern in this French magazine -- Marie Claire Idées Hiver 2006 -- to make something for him.

See the paper flowers in the bottom left corner? The folks at Marie Claire Idées suggest using them instead of a big bow to top a gift.

paperIt takes at least an hour to make one. Doesn't that seem like a lot of work for something that's going to be thrown away?

Instead, I made a suncatcher or an ornament for the Christmas tree.

I found these translucent papers in the scrapbook section of the local Joann superstore. I made photocopies of the pattern, then laid the translucent paper on top of the photocopy on top of a stack of newspapers, and cut out the shapes with a razor. It would have been easier and faster to use an X-Acto knife and a self-healing mat, and this wasn't the first time I've struggled a little without the proper tools, so I'm asking Santa to shop at the art supply store this year.

When all four shapes were (finally) cut out, I used a few drops of clear scrapbook glue to lightly tack near but not in the center. I wanted the center to be clean so I could poke a small hole with a sharp needle for the hanger. I threaded a short piece of fishing line (about 12 inches/30 cm) through the hole from back to front, added a small red seed bead, then ran the fishing line out the back and tied an overhand knot near the ends.

Here's the final product. The photo is badly lit and doesn't show that the paper is very translucent in real life.
PDRM3329

By the way, this was my first issue of Marie Claire Idées, and it probably won't be my last. It includes about a half-dozen embroidery, knitting, or easier projects that I would like to do. I found this copy at a local European book store, Europa.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! And thanks for the tip on Europa -- I was wondering not too long ago about whether I would ever actually lay hands on this magazine. Sounds like there's hope, if I can get there! Hope Santa takes your hint about the art-supply store.

1:11 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Rachel, that's beautiful! You're so freakin' crafty and a wonderful person, to boot.

I totally forgot about Europa Bookstore. They might have had the Phildar Automne 2006 I was looking for.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home