sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Monday, November 13, 2006

Ummmm, is this done?

After more knitting, seaming, and blocking, the pink WIP in this photoPDRM2932
has become a little girl's hat with kitty cat ears.




My hat pics are a little washed out, but the swatch photo shows the depth of this pretty orchid pink yarn. It's Cascade 220, #2449, a heathered 4-strand wool, so some of the strands are pink and some are violet. What little girl wouldn't love it? It's a girl's size 4-to-6, and a gift for a friend.

I used a very succinct vintage pattern from Laurie in Washington state. The pattern says to pick up & knit "X" stitches here, cast off "Y" stitches there, seam together, etc., without any helpful clues like "face ribbing" or "sides" or "back." The first time I used this pattern, I was almost done before I figured out how the whole thing was going to piece together.

So what do you think -- is the kitty hat done? It's looking a little plain to me and I've been admiring Lene's embroidery (here and here). Should I attempt to add some purple and white flowers to the top? I think pink and purple are the team colors of girls under 6, and I wouldn't want to disappoint the little girl who is getting this as a gift. D says it's done, but what does he know, he's not a girl.

7 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

I so totally love the shaping on that hat!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Trope said...

Hmm, if it were from me it would be done right now--I am not a fan of the embroidery or double-stitching or whatever the cool kids are using this week. But a little embellishment might be nice too--as you noted, pinkandpurple is always better than pink OR purple.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hat as is!! But if you think it needs it, it does. I'm kinda on the plain side and we are talking the season of embroidered accents soooo GO FOR IT!! A few simple flowers with vines in outline or something?

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that hat is so pretty and cute and yes, I think any little girl would like it, (I know my GD would) and yes, I'm familiar with Lene's work and I think it would really make this hat extra special..however your style of line. Go for it!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

Cute hat! I say, a little bit of purple somewhere on the hat. Little girls do love their pink and purple.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hat is the cutest! Can adults wear it and still be cute? lol. really...

12:25 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

embroidery would make the hat even more adorable. DO IT. :D

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home