sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Sweet Libby

We've had some unusually cold temperatures this fall, and they've caused the trees to shed their leaves early. Over the weekend we got the rakes out and picked up masses of bright gold leaves from the lawns and the sidewalks.

Before we swept away all that yellow, I took a few pictures of Libby and her dearest love. I do this almost every year, and can see the passage of time in those photos. She turned 7 over the summer, and her muzzle gets greyer every year.
She had fun investigating all the smells and greeting the passersby.

She often walks along with pedestrians, wagging her tail.

With some people, though, as soon as they are passed her, she lets out a big bark and scares them half to death.

I wish I knew what the heck she was thinking. What does she know about them that I don't know?

Later that night, she had a severe brain seizure and we rushed her to the emergency room.

She's never had a seizure before, so at first I didn't know what was happening, but it looked pretty painful and lasted several minutes. However, by the time we saw the veterinarian, she was almost back to normal, and very aware that she was at the dreaded vet's office.

We think, but can't be sure, that the seizure was caused by the neurologic damage she experienced over the summer when she had Lyme Disease. She's going to her regular vet tomorrow (sorry, honey) for more testing. We've got our fingers crossed that this seizure was an isolated event. I'm still in disbelief.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, poor Libby. I'm in tears for your poor baby. I hope all goes well! I will be praying and thinking of you and your beautiful baby. She looks just like mine too.(I have a solid brown German shorthair pointer, but in photos, they could be twins!!)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Corinne said...

Oh, so scary! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow--good luck.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

The pictures are beautiful. I love the fall colours. I sure hope Libby is doing okay - it must have been a frightening experience for you.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Trope said...

Oh, Libby. Hang in there... my furry ones hate the vet too, it's almost as bad as the being-sick part! And you take care too, dog-mama.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thoughts to your girl. I hope all goes well tomorrow with your regular vet.

9:37 AM  
Blogger CjSachiko said...

So sorry to hear about Libby. Hope all goes well with the appointment. Bear and WishBone are crossing their paws for her.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, poor Libby, I'm hoping it was an isolated seizure. I have a dog who started having seizures, seemingly out of the blue. There's a website dedicated to canine epilepsy...check it out, I don't have the link right now, but you could probably google and get it. We treat Mocha with the more natural treatments and he's done fine. Good wishes to Libby. She is a fine beauty.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home