sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Monday, October 09, 2006

Country living in the big city

We made plans to go up north for the 3-day weekend, but at the last minute I decided to stay home alone. It's really beautiful in the northwoods this time of year, but I knew that staying in Chicago would mean I could get more sleep and be more productive.PDRM2684

When I came home to an empty house on Friday night, I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision, but after I jotted down a long list of errands and WIPs, I was glad I stayed home.

I got a lot of the errands done on Saturday, so on Sunday I packed up my Red Scarf WIP and went out to the north 'burbs to visit with Corrine at the Country Living Fair. PDRM2705

I don't read their magazine, but I was interested in their event as soon as Corrine started talking about it. What's not to like about a high-end craft convention in a garden?

The weather turned out perfect for an outdoor event -- sunny and 65 Farenheit/18 Celsius.
PDRM2689

Corrine's booth was on a corner and was tucked in between some antique vendors and a handspinner. I had a nice time KIP'ing with her. She knits fabulous one-of-a-kind dog sweaters, out of wool, cashmere, mohair, and even hemp blends. I often wish she knit accessories for people (me!), like hats & scarves, since she has the best sense of color.
PDRM2699


PDRM2693


PDRM2701PDRM2690

PDRM2691Lucky Penny sweaters
Orange Mums at Chicago Botanic Garden

I added a few more inches to the red scarf, and I wasn't counting on it to happen, but I even got some of my Christmas shopping done (sorry, photos would ruin the surprises). Prices at the fair ranged from $5 for handmade vegetable soaps to thou$ands for antique art and furniture.

I fell in love with the punchneedle embroidery kits at Hooked on Rugs. They reminded me of the expensive handhooked wool rugs I've seen, but these are about the size of my fist and made with cotton emboidery floss. Sort of like mini rugs, that you can frame or attach to a purse or clothing. I got a kit that could be a Christmas present this year but will probably go on the back burner until next year.

I also found an adorable felted bird purse at Betz White's booth. I think I've seen Betz' stuff on someone's blog, but I can't remember whose.

And I have to say that one of my favorite vendors was the kind beekeeper from Remsberger Maple Farm & Apiary. I've been wondering if I could keep honey bees in Chicago and I had lots of questions for him.

What a great day it was. If you've got some free time on Monday, Oct 9th, I suggest you check out the last day of the Country Living Fair at the Chicago Botanic Garden.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Corinne said...

Aw, shucks, sweetfigs, thanks for the compliment! That's the most me that's ever been posted on the internet. I need to keep my new hairdresser, that's all I can say. I'm so happy that you spent time with me this weekend. Thanks for the brownie--it got munched while I was waiting to get my car into the fair for the load-out!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home