sweetfigs   s w e e t   f i g s

   

                in pursuit of a fruitful life

               

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Yes, but will the dog like it?

Libby isn't loving the smell of her new Farmstead Natural Dog Shampoo bar, which is probably a good thing.

Remember when we vacationed in the southwest last January? When we were in Santa Fe I got to indulge in some time at the Japanese-style spa Ten Thousand Waves, where I found this handcrafted, locally-made muscle salve containing arnica, St. John's wort, olive oil, beeswax, and lavender:

P1010459
It's got some other ingredients, but those are the high notes.

I started using this wonderful concoction on my sore shoulder every night before dozing off, and my aches and pains were really improving. One night, though, I left it on top of the nightstand instead of putting into the little drawer, and the next day, while we were at work, Lib found it and consumed the entire jar. I think I had this little treasure for less than 2 weeks, and it was all gone:

P1010461

I ordered some more from the woman who makes it, but the package from Jae Bird got waylaid and it took about a month to arrive in Chicago. Such a drag. And then I forgot again, left it out on the nightstand, and the new jar almost met the same fate:
P1010460
Since there's no such thing as a muscle salve for my memory, it's probably for the best that I search out skin care products made from edible, organic ingredients. I've been doing that since I learned skin ingests whatever goes on it, including shampoo, soap, lotion, and cosmetics.

When I did the spring cleanse this year, the Ayurvedic physician had me use a bottle of Spectrum Naturals cold-pressed corn oil for the daily self-abhyanga (a massage that stimulates the lymph system). It seemed a little weird to be finding my massage oil in the cooking oil and spices aisle at the grocery store, but it made sense, so I did it.

Any way, the Jae Bird salve joins some hand poured soap, pots of rich hand cream, and a bottle of massage oil that have been lapped up by my favorite canine. At this point, I kind of know what she likes, and think of her when I'm shopping for moisturizer.

I showed Lib her new "treat" this morning, and she didn't try to lick it, so we're good.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Silly pup! At least you were able to salvage the second jar of Jae Bird salve.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Navi said...

I can't see any of the pics you posted! But is ok coz i'm imagining Lib liking an empty jar :)

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home